Thursday, April 2, 2015

Bless My Bloomers Planter Chair



My mother-in-law had given me this chair to refinish a while back and I had completely forgotten about it (in other words it got buried in all of my junk and furniture ;). She was looking for something funky, fun, and that she could set her plants in. Well her birthday was in March so I decided to refinish it for her and surprise her with it!

Let me just inform y’all, we do a lot of shabby chic and rustic items, BUT we can definitely do funky and fun! I’m an artist in all areas so I love when customers come to me with freedom, that’s when I create the best pieces! I’m naturally a colorful and bright person and this planter chair certainly shows it!

Pam, my mother-in-law, is equally bright and colorful as me and LOVES turquoise (I mean, who doesn’t?!) When I do colorful pieces I always try to stick to 3-4 colors, generally if you use a lot of colors together it tends to look busy and overwhelming. Since she’ll be putting flowers in the middle of the chair I wanted to make sure I didn’t overwhelm the design of the chair. So I used turquoise, yellow, and threw in some black & white checker patterns to add some character and contrast against the bright colors. White and black will calm down bright colors, so when you use it correctly with colorful pieces it can really work beautifully. –Look at me talkin’ all artsy..who would’ve thought! Haha

Here is the before picture... Yikes! Look at all of those nails, and the trim work was just hanging on by tape!



 Since this piece was going to be used outdoors, I used a latex paint and coated it with Thompson's Water Seal. I started by painting the turquoise on first, trying to miss the areas that I wanted to paint yellow. Which I hadn't really planned out, I kind of just went with the flow and let my artistic talents take over.



 After I finished my turquoise and yellow coats I thought it could use a little more so that’s when I decided to do the black and white checkers.




It, of course, needed some kind of cute saying! Since she will be using it for holding a planted pot I thought it needed “Bless My Bloomers”, too cute!! I always use a pencil to sketch out my quotes, it helps me to keep the overall size the same and to see what adjustments I need to fit the whole quote on the chair without it looking scrunched.



Here is some more detailed pictures of the funky “Bless My Bloomers” Chair, check out the before and after! I will eventually get a photo of the chair with the plants in it, just need to get some planted!
















For more photos of our refinished furniture and home décor follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter! If you are interested in us refinishing your furniture or interior design assistance please contact us at bcdesignok@gmail.com

Comment below and let us know what you think of the "Bless My Bloomers" chair, we would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment