Friday, February 12, 2016

Chevron Trestle Card Table

Those white stripes got me like…
Here is one custom refinished piece I know you all will love!



I got this piece from a customer back in the spring, she told me how her dad had tried to refinish it but as we all know, life happens…and he never got to finish the project. So she came to us!

Justine, my customer, told me about her style and gave us full reigns to refinish the table how we wanted to, and boy that got my wheels spinning! We artists typically don’t come across customers that will give us full reign to do a piece how we want; there are usually limitations and specific needs. So when we do finally get to use our creativity to the fullest, great things will prosper.

Justine had sent me a few pictures of her home and some other pieces of furniture that had been refinished. The thing that stood out to me the most was the two toned character in one of the furniture pieces and the home décor she had on the walls….arrows. That’s the where the chevron pattern and two toned custom stain came from, the table just so happened to have a rectangular outline on the top so I knew it would fit perfectly.

When I went to pick up this poor little table it was LITERALLY falling apart on us, but I told them not to worry about it. That’s nothing some little wood glue and my nail gun can’t handle ;) Once I got it all put back together and cracks filled I started slapping on my favorite paint (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint).


Just check out the process>>>>>







That mint color was absolutely beautiful; the problem I came across was it was flaking off bad. So it needed to be removed or painted over.



















But as I distressed the Old White Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, I let the mint peak through which gave this table even more character and interest!




  
Justine had also informed me that they had brown couches but gray décor; they were eventually switching everything over into cool tones. I wanted to make sure that it would fit all of her open floor home as their dining room was right next to their living room.
So I tested out a custom stain design on a few pieces of wood and eventually found a great medium between the dark walnut stain and the gray stain, almost feathering the gray in to make the table look distressed and old barn style colors.







Then the fun part started! Which included a lot of math, and planning out. By the way, if you are wondering what type of tape to use and prevent bleeds then try out the “Blue Scotch Edge Lock” tape. I haven’t had any issues with paint bleeding under the Edge Lock tape, which really cuts back on time and cleaning up the details.


Look! No bleeds! >>>>>>






















I then distressed the white chevron a bit to break up the sharp lines and went over everything with Annie Sloan Clear and Dark Wax, giving it an aged effect.

















Here is the table in her home, look at how well it goes with her china cabinet! LOVE IT!!!!
The sides of the table slide out when you need more room, such a cute and handy little piece! This table was really hard to give back to Justine lol I loved it too much ;)



Check out the before and after transformation again!!




Check us out on FacebookInstagramPinterest and our website for more unique refinished pieces! Let us know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment